March 07, 2011

What a Character...

There are two things about me that most people do not know. Unless you one of my closest friends this these topics may have never came up.

1. I am a lucid dreamer
2. I am an avid writer.

Lucid dream: •A lucid dream is a dream in which the sleeper is aware that she or he is dreaming. When the dreamer is lucid, she or he can actively participate in and often manipulate the imaginary experiences in the dream environment.

Avid writer: •A writer is anyone who creates a written work, though the word usually designates those who write creatively or professionally, as well as those who have written in many different forms.

When you put those two together, what do you get? A writer that creates the world she writes about in her dreams. I am not like Stephanie Meyer where I have a dream and then write about it. I am something a tad different. I actually create my story in my dream and then write it out. Personally, it is the best way for me to test out my characters and the world that they live in. Is it strange? yea, but what about me isn't a little bit off. Well, I have been working on a new story for about a month now and it feels like it is taking an eternity to work itself out. Before I even start writing I plan out each and every character that will appear in my book. I want to get a feel for who they are, what they like, the way they talk, the way they walk, the way they look, how they act, how they respond to others. This process always takes a while but this one I just cant my main character into concrete.

Last night I had a dream about The Girl (my main character) and her fighting. Just fighting, fighting bears, fighting witches, fighting spiders, fighting dragons, fighting men, just about anything and everything she was fighting. Normally part of my dreaming is control. That is what separates normal dreaming and lucid dreaming. Lucid dreaming is controlling and shaping the dream as you please but no matter how hard I tried to control this dream it just wouldnt form the way that I wanted. I think she is going to be one hell of a character to write about. She feels like she is already her own person. Someone I would love to have a conversation with her. The best part about the dream is I finally saw what she looked like. I wish I was more of a talented artist because I would draw her but she looked a mix of Emily Browning and a young Mia Wasikowska. I am very excited I have finally "met" my main character.
Emily Browning

Mia Wasikowska

No comments:

Post a Comment